Home > Australia > Coober Pedy > Cooper Pedy > Desert Cave Hotel
Lot 1 Hutchison Street
Coober Pedy 5723
All rates are in AUD and include all taxes.
For the best in Outback Accommodation - Desert Cave Hotel - an experience of a lifetime.
Since 1915 Coober Pedy has exerted a fascination for those who seek the elusive opal, the world's most colourful gemstone.
Coober Pedy is known as the "underground" town, where many locals live in "dugouts" or underground homes. The earth gives natural temperature control for cool quiet living in this semi-desert area of Outback South Australia.
Desert Cave Hotel is the only international underground 4 star hotel, allows you to experience dug-out style living, underground shops, bar and opal display areas - all within sandstone surrounds in the heart of Coober Pedy. As well as above and below ground accommodation, Desert Cave Hotel offers outstanding dining and convention facilities.
Guests can stay underground, or if they prefer, above ground rooms are also available. Sleeping underground is a unique experience. Quiet, cool, dark and airy - the rooms are spacious with high ceilings. Most visitors say that sleeping underground gives them the best night's sleep they have ever had!
All guest accommodation rooms, both underground and above ground, are non smoking, offering FREE continental breakfast delivered to your door every morning, air conditioning, a colour TV, FREE in-house movies, WiFi internet access, modem/data port connection , IDD phone, private ensuite bathroom with shower, hairdryer and toilet, ironing equipment, mini-bar, refrigerator, tea and coffee making facilities.
Experience the underground shopping arcade including Opal World, with an extensive range of opal and opal jewellery. Stroll in the cool comfort of the underground displays all within beautiful, soft, natural sandstone surrounds. Enjoy fine dining at Umberto's Restaurant, where the food is excellent and the atmosphere is relaxing. The Crystal Cafe is also open for breakfast, lunch, coffee and cakes and it is renown for its popular Sunday buffet. Splash in the outdoor swimming pool, relax in the spa. The Desert Cave Hotel also has a gymnasium, and sauna for the health conscious guest. Further facilities and services include baby sitting service,conference/meeting/ banquet facilities, cocktail bar, internet access, FREE car parking, reception, FREE room service breakfast, safe deposit boxes, coin operated internet kiosks in reception and underground bar, coin operated guest laundry facilities, luggage storage, FREE cot hire, business services, faxing facilities, tourist information and tour bookings, translation services and transfers to the Ghan, airport and bus depot.
The award-winning Desert Cave Hote offers guests the best opportunity to experience Coober Pedy 'dugout' living and a range of specalised tours of the surrounding rugged and beautiful outback.
For more details about Desert Cave Hotel, Click here, or, for rates and availability of other Coober Pedy Hotel/Motels, click here
Coober Pedy is an "underground" town where you could arrive with your shirt on your back and leave a millionaire!!
By going on one of the Desert Cave Hotel tours you will experience the following:
(1) * The Desert Cave Half Day Town Tour ($55.00 per person) visits a working opal field to see opal mining methods. Venture down a former working mine to see opal traces embedded in the sandstone.
* You also visit the Breakaways, a range of colourful landscapes with exposed sandstone outcrops - spectacular views over the Moon Plain - once an inland sea. This dramatically beautiful area has been the scene for many internationally known movies.
* The famous Dog Fence (dingo fence) - stretching 5,300 km across Australia.
* The Serbian Underground Church - spectacular excavation, tradtional Serbian Orthodox architecture and fascinating sandstone carvings.
* A genuine underground home...see how the locals live.
* Underground Potteries.
* Opal cutting demonstration - professional advice on opal quality and price.
(2) * The "Down'n'Dirty" half day tour ($80.00 per person) includes:
* An informative, instructional and entertaining video on opal mining.
* Access to a working mine field to understand the various styles of opal mining.
* Access to the opal field mullock heaps for an experience in noodling (fossicking).
Entry to the Mine where you will be supplied with a hard hat, torch and handpick to get "Down'n'Dirty" and find your fortune.
Other Cooper Pedy Hotel/Motels